I have been reading up on constitutional remedies lately in a book called, “The Homeopathic Treatment of Children- Pediatric Constitutional Types” by Paul Herscu N.D. For those that are wondering what in the heck is a constitutional remedy…let me explain. “A constitutional remedy is a remedy that works on a deep cellular level to bring the body and emotions back to a state of health and balance. By doing so it makes the whole system more resistant to disease. To find your constitutional remedy you will need to see a trained homeopathic physician. They will ask you many questions, some may seem irrelevant. Constitutional remedies are deep and long acting. Many people find that it is useful to get a “constitutional tune-up” once a year or at the change of the seasons” from here.
In this book, this doctor describes in detail the different constitutional types for children. Over many years of practice, 80% of his patients fall into 8 categories/remedies (6 of which I am going to cover): Calcarea Carbonica, Lycopodium, Natrum muriaticum, Phosphorus, Pulsatilla, and Sulphur. The funny thing is that Grant and I have the constitution Silica (which is not listed here, but is a very close resemblance to Pulsatilla). Garrett is my Sulphur child.
Here is a brief summary of each.
1. Calc Carb – These are healthy children with strong personalities that lead to strong wills, obstinacy, and independence. They tend to be plodders and have delayed mental development. They fear insects, scary stories, and ghosts; they are fascinated with the supernatural.
2. Lyc– These children have two aspects: an anxious, insecure, indecisive side that makes them seem weak; and an irritable, bossy side that makes them seem tyrannical. It is the interplay of these two aspects that gives the major clue to this remedy. They fear strangers, failing, being in the doctors office- all fears are better if an adult is present. Dyslexia is common.
3. Nat Mur- These are perfectionistic, introverted children who are well groomed, self- conscious, and fearful of ridicule. They feel sadness deeply, become depressed, and blame themselves for any disaster that befalls the family. They refuse consolation.
4. Phos– These are friendly, good natured, extroverted, excitable children. They complain of many fears, especially of the dark, thunderstorms, insects, their family’s well-being, and an ominous, unknown something that will “get” them. All complaints are ameliorated by consolation. I have a nephew that fits this constitution exactly.
5. Puls– These are mild, timid, pleasant, clingy children whose emotions rule them. They undergo vast mood changes and especially exhibit weepiness. They fear abandonment and are jealous of younger siblings. These states are ameliorated by consolation.
6. Sul- These are extroverted curious children. They tend to be leaders and are independent and perhaps haughty. Occasionally they become hyperactive and break all the rules of the house. Activities are done with exuberance and tireless fun. They can become lazy and procrastinate. The cerebral type is shyer and neater, though still haughty. They fear heights.
These summaries are meant as an aid to beginners…like myself. We use a homeopathic doctor and I give my boys their constitutional remedies often- like today. And boy do I notice a difference- a positive one. They are each less emotional, less crying, less complaining, less fighting. Of course, these remedies help with lingering illnesses. Cleared up Garrett’s slight wet cough. Today was a great day thanks to Puls 1M and Sul 1M.