Where do you want your meat to come from?
For me, it is not just about quality of diet, but also the humane treatment of animals. It is hard for me to even look at this second picture with all the cows stuck together in the dirt, mud, and who knows what else. I am sure there is a lot of poop everywhere. I know I said POOP- kind of gross, but this is exactly how disease is spread and how bacteria can grow and multiply. This is the reason the commercial feed is pumped full of antibiotics, so that it can kill all the bacteria that is growing in a place like this. This toxic living environment leads to sickly animals and sickly meat. There is no grass, no open space to graze, and almost no sunshine…. just dirt and clouds of dirt everywhere. If I lived here I would not be thriving. I am pretty sure I would be nutrient deprived. The cows are eating, but they are malnourished. They lack the important vitamins and minerals that make them healthy. Here are some facts about the benefits of grass-fed over grain-fed cattle.
- Two to four times richer in heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids.
- Higher in “good” unsaturated fats and lower in “bad” saturated fats.
- Three to five times higher in CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) content.
- Loaded with over 400% more of vitamin A (as beta carotene) and E.
- Virtually devoid of risk of Mad Cow Disease.