Homemade Sunscreen

Homemade Sunscreen

Homemade sunscreen is non toxic and very safe for babies and small children.  I have 2 small children and we use homemade sunscreen or non toxic sunscreen when we go out in the sun.  Homemade sunscreen is really important to my family because we live and Florida and we love going to the beach.  We’ll be going to Honeymoon Island once a week when summer is finally here.

It is beautiful and the boys love playing in the water and sand.  If we are not at the beach, you can find us at the pool.  There is a great pool right by us and we go often.  I guess Florida is known for its outdoor recreation. We take advantage of it.

I have one son that is very tan, and one son is that is fair skinned.  I am right there with my fair skinned son, even though we tan easily we have to be careful.  We mainly use natural sunscreen from the health food store.  Many of the ingredients in regular sunscreen contain toxic chemicals and endocrine disrupting chemicals.  These ingredients are especially  bad for children and women during child-bearing years.  Some sunscreens actually raise your chances of getting skin cancer.   There are some good options out there, but be careful even natural sunscreens can have sketchy ingredients.  Always read the LABELS.  If you want to read more in details about the risks and benefits check out this article.

Since making my homemade facial cream,  I have really wanted to try my own sunscreen formula.  Many of the ingredients are the same which makes it easy.  My boys are always in the sun, so it was a no-brainer.  Experiment time!!! I love this part.

Ingredients

1/2 cup grape seed oil or any combination of:  (coconut, olive, almond)

5 tsp zinc oxide (make sure it is pure zinc oxide) Do NOT inhale!

1 Tbsp Beeswax

1 Tbsp distilled water or less

5-7 drops of essential oil (optional- use any scent, just not citrus bc it is phototoxic)

Check out why rosehip oil is so great for the skin.  I use it often in my skin care formulas.

How to Make It

Heat Oil and beeswax in a mason jar sitting in a pan of low boiling water until just melted.

Stir occasionally.

Takes about 5-8 minutes.

Remove from heat.

Add essential oils.

Put into bowl that will not be used for food, and add zinc oxide powder.

Mix well. Make sure you do NOT inhale zinc powder.

Add in 1 Tbsp distilled water or less depending on how thick you want it.  I like mine easy to rub in.  Whisk a little more…. Depending on the texture you like, you can add a little more or less water.  More of a lotion or thick cream.

On my skin below.  Nice consistency and texture.  It rubs right in.

Notes:

1. Not completely waterproof.  Reapply every few hours after swimming or sweating.

2. Make sure not to inhale the zinc oxide powder.  I used my shirt over my mouth and nose.

3. SPF of about 20.  Adding more zinc will increase the SPF.

Another little trick.  You are in a hurry and need a quick sunscreen…just add a 2-4 Tbsps of Zinc Oxide to any natural lotion and you have a homemade sunscreen (avoid the citrus scents).

GreenBootGirl

Recipe adapted from Wellness Mama.

My favorite Non-Toxic Sunscreen online.

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, homeopathy, essential oils or other natural remedies. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

By | 2017-10-10T15:12:23+00:00 April 26th, 2012|Beauty Products, Green Living, NonToxic Skincare|35 Comments

About the Author:

I am a mother of 3. We eat nourishing and traditional food at home. We use natural healing successfully with essential oils, herbs, and homeopathy. We love being in the outdoors and living the "green" life.

35 Comments

1. arealfoodlover April 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Excellent recipe! I love it

2. gettingmygreenon April 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Wow I never thought to make my own, I use badger and have very fair skin. this sounds great.

• Green Boot Kaley April 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm - Reply

It is great because you can make it more simple or add in things. Whatever your preference. You can make it thicker or thinner…. it is easy to play around with.

3. […] last year I have been making more of my own body products and the next one on the list will be homemade sunscreen.  I have recently come across some important information regarding homemade (and even commerical) […]

4. […] Rub a small amount of coconut oil over the skin, under the sunscreen.  Or use a homemade sunscreen that has coconut oil in it.  Mine doesn’t, but the next batch I make it will.  The coconut […]

5. Candi May 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm - Reply

Is the aloe necessary? Could you just use the oil, zinc oxide, and beeswax?

6. MFred May 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm - Reply

interesting…my family members don’t use regular sunscreen, partially due to the chemicals. another reason is because my brother and I (both lifeguards) have discovered that in order for sunscreen to be waterproof and sweat-proof enough to stay on it not only is oil based (makes us burn anyways!) but also seals the pores on your skin so you cannot sweat and end up overheating (nausea, stomach cramps, etc).

What we use is cocoa butter cream, olive oil and aloe mixed together. I’m on the beach up to 30-40+ hours a week in the summer did not get burned at all last summer and my skin never looked better! for regular (non sun) lotion we mix in argon oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil etc.

• Green Boot Kaley May 29, 2012 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Thanks for the comment. very interesting. Sounds like you have a great homemade recipe too!

7. Lisa Marcia May 30, 2012 at 9:38 am - Reply

@Green Boot Kaley – thank you for posting this! I’m looking for a more organic sunscreen for my little guy! What would your recommendation on reapplication be? Every hour? Two hours…I’m trying to remember the rules! 🙂 Appreciate any insight on this you can provide!

• Green Boot Kaley May 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm - Reply

I think every 2 hours is about right. I think that I would double the zinc to make it more of a 45 spy ~ if you were planning on being outside for extended periods at high sun. Wear hats and swim shirts- that helps too!

8. karla diaz June 24, 2012 at 12:47 am - Reply

I just made this (without the zinc) and used sweet almond oil for the oil. It didn’t look like it was going to set up so I put it in the fridge for a couple minutes and then blended more with a hand mixer. It turned out beautifully! Very easy to spread on and less greasy than many homemade lotions. It is the first lotion I have made with beeswax and I think that is what makes it so smooth. Thank you for this great recipe! BTW, my neighbor made your anti-aging face cream and it is AMAZING! Smells like heaven! 🙂

• Green Boot Kaley June 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm - Reply

I love sweet almond oil and the smell! Another one of my favorites. I am glad you like the lotion…. the rosewater does make everything smell awesome. thanks for stopping by and letting us know!

9. Michell July 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm - Reply

I’m a PE coach and out in the sun a lot. Do you think this would be okay to use on the face as well?

10. lauren October 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm - Reply

I am definitely making your anti wrinkle cream and I am excited to try it. I was curious, I use daily moisturizers with sunscreen. If I made the anti wrinkle cream would the antioxidants in the homemade cream be good enough to protect your skin from the sun just from every day commute. I don’t spend alot of time in the sun or would I need to make the sunscreen and use it with the anti wrinkle cream? thank you!

• Green Boot Kaley October 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm - Reply

The cream is full of healthy ingredients. You could always add the zinc powder to the oil in the blender, bf adding the rosewater… and have a sort of anti-wrinkle sunscreen. I said to use half the zinc powder because the homemade sunscreen has a tendency to be thicker (whiteness) which is why you could make it thinner. I think that would work! Another thing for just the commute to work. A light layer of organic coconut oil rubbed on the face should be enough to protect you from the rays inside the car. Coconut oil is a great natural sunscreen…. for short amounts of time. HTH! good luck!

11. Kara October 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Love this recipe. I just bought a pound of Shea butter, could I use it instead of beeswax?

• Green Boot Kaley October 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm - Reply

yes. you can. If the shea butter is in cream form then you can add the zinc oxide right too it and scent it however you like~

12. Ed November 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Does the water have to be distilled? I have a GE made filter in my fridge (NSF/ANSI standards 42 & 53) – is that water good enough?

13. Ed November 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm - Reply

Does the water need to be distilled? I have a GE made filter in my fridge (NSF/ANSI standards 42 & 53) – is that good enough?

• Green Boot Kaley November 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm - Reply

You should be fine! Good luck!

• Green Boot Kaley November 14, 2012 at 11:51 pm - Reply

Quick thought~ not sure your exact filter. Just make sure that it is heated to kill the bacteria and you should be ok.

• Ed November 15, 2012 at 12:46 am - Reply

great tip, thanks!

14. awestich March 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Question, if you should not inhale the zinc oxide is it good for your skin? I was just wondering because the skin soaks in what you put on it. Thanks!

15. Anonymous April 1, 2013 at 8:53 am - Reply

Will doubling up on the beeswax make it more waterproof?

16. kay April 1, 2013 at 8:58 am - Reply

Will doubling up on the beeswax make it more waterproof?

• Green Boot Kaley May 8, 2013 at 10:32 pm - Reply

I am not sure. I think they must add a chemical to make it waterproof!

17. […] These are great safe nontoxic alternatives to a regular toxic sunscreen.  Research the brand more if you are still unsure….. or you can always make Homemade Sunscreen. […]

18. […] Oil is a favorite in my home.  We use it for cooking, lotions, deodorant, toothpaste, sunscreen, and many other healthy living […]

19. Sara L. July 29, 2013 at 9:01 am - Reply

This looks interesting! I use zinc oxide and/or titanium oxide based sunscreen, but it is so expensive and there can be additives in there that I don’t want.

I might recommend doing this outside as an extra precaution. If you put something over your mouth and nose to prevent inhaling the zinc, that is good for the moment, but there might be particles left in the air later. If you do it outside you would not have to worry about that.

20. Sarah August 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Hello

This was extremely watery. Was that supposed to be 5 Tablespoons zinc? I never did add the distilled water.

• greenbootgirl August 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Did you melt the beeswax? Not sure why it would be watery…