Ok. I feel like the guy with the big paper bag sometimes…actually a lot. Maybe I need to carry one of those around with me always. Anyone else concur?
Everyone suffers from some form of anxiety during their lifetime. It may be job related, health related, family related, child related, or other things. Life can be stressful and full of ups and downs. Sometimes I joke “Life is a roller coaster”, one minute you are on top of the world and the next minute something comes crashing down. Children seem to be suffering from anxiety at very young age. I remember having terrible anxiety when I was a little girl. I was very shy and did not like going to school. Even up until I was 12 I suffered from terrible homesickness when I was away from my home. I would physically get sick. I never wanted to go anywhere without my family. I didn’t grow out of these fears for a long time. Children can have all sorts of insecurities. You may be surprised at what your child really worries about or fears. It is always good to ask.
Homeopathy has natural remedies that work great for acute cases of anxiety. If there is a history of anxiety related symptoms, professional constitutional care may be necessary for a deeper cure.
I have used these remedies with great success. I have to admit that we use them OFTEN in our home. The three remedies that always work for me and my mild anxiety are aconite, ignatia, or silicea (which happens to be my constitutional remedy). I will list a few and the symptoms that match the following remedies.
1. Aconitum- sense of panic is felt, a fear that something awful will happen, feel so sick that they are going to die, are easily startled.
2. Arsenicum- a perfectionist, fussy about their appearance, tidy when ill, exaggerates the illness, acts more sick than they are, worried about almost everything.
3. Gelsemium- anxious before an examination or contest, gets diarrhea or headache from anxiety, body trembling from anxiety, voice may tremble
4. Ignatia- doesn’t express emotions, doesn’t stick up for himself, holds in feelings and pretends nothing is wrong, sighs, frequently explodes, easily offended, high-strung or sensitive children after they have been reprimanded, homesickness
5. Lycopodium - feels insecure when ill and always wants someone around, effective for bedwetting child who is anxious, fearful of trying anything new, constantly worrying about what others think, easily embarrassed, fear of failure, performance anxiety (prior to performance child boasts about performance and once it arrives they become increasingly insecure)
6. Silicea- very shy and have a fear of doing new things because they fear failure, lack confidence but they are very bright and usually do things well if they finish them, do not stand up for themselves, and need lots of encouragement, easily startled and irritated by little things, sometimes little things upset them more than big things, stubborn but not aggressive
7. Natrum Mur- long-term emotional memory, once they get hurt they do not let go of the pain, bear grudges, dwell on past problems, death, divorce, lack of parental love, averse to sympathy and want to be left alone.
I hope that if you suffer from any form of anxiety you may find relief from more natural ways.
~Green Boot Girl
Remember these are suggestions, not medical advice. Disclaimer.
Notes taken from Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants by Dana Ullman.