Homemade Natural Deodorant

/, Green Living, NonToxic Skincare/Homemade Natural Deodorant

Homemade Natural Deodorant

I have been looking for a homemade deodorant formula for awhile.  Homemade natural deodorants are non toxic, inexpensive, and easy to make.   I have had a lot of hesitation when thinking about making my own.  Why?  For one, I use a natural deodorant from the health food store that smells and works great.  Another reason, I live in Florida and it is very hot most of the year.  I am a “crunchy” gal, but stinky pits is not something I will compromise on… so the natural deodorant REALLY has to work.  Maybe the thing that recently pushed me to trying my own was the cost of natural deodorant.

After a little research, I developed a formula of my own.  It consists of 3 ingredients.  I made the deodorant yesterday and tried it for 2 days.  For today, I applied it at 7 am this morning (when we left for the day), spent the whole day a Disney in 90 degree heat, and did not start to sweat until about 6pm (when I probably needed to reapply anyway…. it is natural deodorant not miracle deodorant :).  The great thing is that even when I did begin to sweat (after 12 hours and about 5 miles of walking) I did NOT stink!  No sign of gross body odor. Wow.  I am impressed.

You may want to give this one a try even if you have deodorant that you love.

Ingredients

1/8 cup baking soda (anti stink ingredient)

1/4 cup corn starch/arrowroot powder.  I used organic. (keeps you dry)

3-4 tablespoons coconut oil~ I like my paste more thick

4-5 drops essential oil (optional for scent).

Combine the powders and add the coconut oil as needed.  Mix until desired consistency is achieved.

Remember this homemade natural deodorant is a paste and you use your fingers to apply it.  Just so there are no surprises.

Homemade Natural Deodorant
GreenBootGirl

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, homeopathy, essential oils or other natural remedies. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

By | 2017-10-05T20:40:37+00:00 May 5th, 2012|Beauty Products, Green Living, NonToxic Skincare|12 Comments

About the Author:

I am a mother of 3. We eat nourishing and traditional food at home. We use natural healing successfully with essential oils, herbs, and homeopathy. We love being in the outdoors and living the "green" life.

12 Comments

1. Brian May 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Like you, my wife and I are from FL as well…and we also have been looking for a natural deodorant that ACTUALLY works.

We tried a few brands from the health food store and we always had bad BO at the about mid day…and i was like…ok, this isn’t gonna work. We’ll try this and let you know.

• Green Boot Kaley May 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm - Reply

Great. Let me know. I still am very surprised at how well this hold up! I think you will be very happy and smell good 🙂

2. Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm - Reply

I make my own and I found I had a week detox from store brand, now I would never use it again

• Green Boot Kaley June 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

I totally agree. I feel so much better now that I use my own. I still love it and it works great!

3. Leslie August 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm - Reply

I’ve been using melaleuca oil blended with shea butter and coconut oil under my arms, and it really helps as a deodorant. I am thinking of using your recipe but adding some melaleuca oil as well, it kills germs and thus, helps eliminate odor.

4. littleleslie August 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm - Reply

I love the idea of natural deodorant as the ingredients in commercially made deodorants are not good for you…it has been said that one of the ingredients, aluminum, show up in the breast tissue of women and that can’t be good. Well I have been using coconut oil, shea butter and melaleuca oil mixed together as a deodorant and it works pretty well. But I am going to try your recipe with melaleuca oil added. It kills bacteria and viruses, so it would help the recipe to be even more effective, in my opinion. I will try it and see. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

5. […] have been using my homemade deodorant formula for almost 6 months and I really love it.  No bad body odor and no toxic chemicals going onto my […]

6. Dstnee9 July 17, 2013 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Have used this one and it does work. I live in Florida, as well. One thing I want to point out is the type of baking soda to use…it has to be aluminum free (Bob’s Red Mill, for example). All commercial baking soda has aluminum, as do most other commercial body products. So read your labels and enjoy!

7. […] Homemade Natural Deodorant from Green Boot Living […]

8. […] Homemade Natural Deodorant by Kaley at Green Boot Living […]

9. Kat December 8, 2016 at 7:42 pm - Reply

you don’t need to use your fingers to apply if you use an empty deodorant container as well as put (or keep) it in the fridge. thoughts?