The “5 minute bread” recipe on pinterest has been calling my name. I love food that is healthy, convenient, and inexpensive. Really only 5 minutes for your own homemade artisan bread? Well the title is a little deceiving. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare, but once the dough is made and in the refrigerator your second loaf will take 5 minutes. This recipe originates from here.
3 cups lukewarm water or about 120 degrees (I used 1 cup fresh whey. Why whey? Soaking helps break down the physic acid and it is easier to digest)
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast (store your yeast in the fridge to prolong freshness)
1 1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
6 1/2 cups unsifted flour (regular works just fine)
1. Put the yeast in a small bowl and add part of the lukewarm water (1/4 cup)
2. Let sit for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
3. I did this recipe by hand, so pour the 6 1/2 cups of flour into a large glass bowl.
4. Add salt and mix with flour.
5. Make a little hole in the middle and add the yeast/ water.
6. Slowly pour in the rest of the water/whey ~ the leftover 2 and 3/4 cups. I did this about a cup at a time.
7. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to slowly mix together (big circular motions).
8. I am sure you could use a bread mixer/ kitchen aid. I just didn’t.
9. Dough will be moist. Cover (with a thin cloth)and let rise for 2-5 hours in a warm place (or overnight). When dough begins to collapse it is finished rising.
10. I was in a hurry this time, but next time I will let it rise longer.
11. Cover and place in refrigerator (the recipe says no oil, but it is so sticky that I put a very small amount of oil to coat it and then moved it to a smaller bowl. Do not cover tightly, it needs to breathe. Can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Ready to bake?
Baking: Oven 425 degrees (edited).
1. I cut off a small amount~ grapefruit size (depending on pan size).
2. Flour pan lightly. (I did put a little oil on the pan)
3. Shape (tuck bottom underneath so the top is smooth), Sprinkle flour on top, slice 3 times w/ a knife.
4. Let rise for 30 minutes.
5. Place bread dough in oven.
6. Pour 2 cups hot water into a broiler pan/ long baking dish and place underneath bread dough.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Very GOOD! There is a slightly crunchy crust, w/ a moist center. Very similar to Panera Bread.
Great with soups, salads, or sandwiches. This recipe will make 3-4 loaves. The next loaf I make will take only about 5 minutes! My oldest son loves sandwiches, and I feel great about this healthy quick recipe. Check out my homemade butter recipe here. I made some fresh butter while we were waiting for the bread to bake.