The “5 minute bread” recipe on pinterest has been calling my name. I love food that is healthy, convenient, and inexpensive. Really only 5 minutes for your own homemade artisan bread? Well the title is a little deceiving. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare, but once the dough is made and in the refrigerator your second loaf will take 5 minutes. This recipe originates from here.
3 cups lukewarm water or about 120 degrees (I used 1 cup fresh whey. Why whey? Soaking helps break down the physic acid and it is easier to digest)
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast (store your yeast in the fridge to prolong freshness)
1 1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
6 1/2 cups unsifted flour (regular works just fine)
1. Put the yeast in a small bowl and add part of the lukewarm water (1/4 cup)
2. Let sit for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
3. I did this recipe by hand, so pour the 6 1/2 cups of flour into a large glass bowl.
4. Add salt and mix with flour.
5. Make a little hole in the middle and add the yeast/ water.
6. Slowly pour in the rest of the water/whey ~ the leftover 2 and 3/4 cups. I did this about a cup at a time.
7. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to slowly mix together (big circular motions).
8. I am sure you could use a bread mixer/ kitchen aid. I just didn’t.
9. Dough will be moist. Cover (with a thin cloth)and let rise for 2-5 hours in a warm place (or overnight). When dough begins to collapse it is finished rising.
10. I was in a hurry this time, but next time I will let it rise longer.
11. Cover and place in refrigerator (the recipe says no oil, but it is so sticky that I put a very small amount of oil to coat it and then moved it to a smaller bowl. Do not cover tightly, it needs to breathe. Can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Ready to bake?
Baking: Oven 425 degrees (edited).
1. I cut off a small amount~ grapefruit size (depending on pan size).
2. Flour pan lightly. (I did put a little oil on the pan)
3. Shape (tuck bottom underneath so the top is smooth), Sprinkle flour on top, slice 3 times w/ a knife.
4. Let rise for 30 minutes.
5. Place bread dough in oven.
6. Pour 2 cups hot water into a broiler pan/ long baking dish and place underneath bread dough.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Very GOOD! There is a slightly crunchy crust, w/ a moist center. Very similar to Panera Bread.
Great with soups, salads, or sandwiches. This recipe will make 3-4 loaves. The next loaf I make will take only about 5 minutes! My oldest son loves sandwiches, and I feel great about this healthy quick recipe. Check out my homemade butter recipe here. I made some fresh butter while we were waiting for the bread to bake.
~Kaley’s KitchenMEDICAL DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, homeopathy, essential oils or other natural remedies. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.