My first son was a colicky baby and I had a lot of random things go wrong during my pregnancy. So for my second pregnancy I did a little reading up on nourishing herbs to take during pregnancy. Here is a list of the herbs I took during my second pregnancy. These are very safe and healthy for pregnant women. They are full of vitamins and minerals.
1. Alfalfa leaf– vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, D, E and K, antifungal, nourish the liver, activate the kidneys, suppress inflammation, address digestive disorders, and balance blood sugar. I cut back on this herb a few weeks before delivery because it increases milk supply- which I do not need in the beginning.
2. Nettle-one of the most nutritious herbs, great for people who ordinarily don’t absorb nutrients very well (like me), blood builder (anemics), calcium, iron, mangnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sulfur, zinc, copper, chlorophyll, fatty acids, folate, Vit K, B1, B2, B3, B5, C, and E. Affinity for kidneys (kidney stones), natural antihistamine, may improve hay fever, allergic asthma, and other allergic conditions.
3. oat-straw-proteins, vitamins, minerals, and trace elements that nourish the nerves, support the metabolism of fats, and uplift the spirit. Take oats after birth to increase milk production.
4. Kelp– Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Iodine, Vit B1, B2, B12, Vit K
5. Red raspberry leaf-I started this herb slowly. I started after my first trimester. Tones the uterus, and prevents hemorrhaging during birth. Full of calcium, phosphorus, Vit A, B1, Vit E. Given during childbirth to strengthen and speed delivery. Given after childbirth to bring on the milk and make it richer.
I had 4 kidney stones at 20 weeks when pregnant with my first son. My second pregnancy I had none, even the doctor guaranteed that I would at least have one. Kidney stones are a chronic issue and they keep coming back, especially during pregnancy. Well not this time!
Throughout the beginning of my second pregnancy my hair kept falling out-another strange thing I noticed. Not lots, but more than it should. My first pregnancy this did not happen. I knew my body was deficient in something. Each time I had my hair done the hairstylist would comment on how I should be taking more vitamins to prevent this. Nothing worked. I started taking the nettles and a few days later I had no hair falling out. Pretty amazing to me. I guess my body was needing something extra.
My second son was over 9 pounds at birth and he has been one strong baby and toddler. Maybe even a little too strong. I am grateful for the nourishing herbs that contributed to my healthy second pregnancy.
~Green Boot KaleyMEDICAL DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, homeopathy, essential oils or other natural remedies. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.